JABS in the news again - this time for TWIN Eastern Grey Joeys

On ANZAC day (25th April), Krysti from Wildlife Rescuers responded to a call to investigate an injured kangaroo in Doreen. Unfortunately the female was injured too badly to recuperate and had to be euthanased - however, while that is terribly sad, the mom kangaroo was carrying twin boys in her pouch and Krysti was able to assess and stabilise them and JABS has been asked to provide care for these two joeys.

This is rare - very rare - to the point that it has made national news - we're proud to have been entrusted with the care of these two - Andy and Zac (for ANZAC day) and will provide updates via JABS Facebook page.


How it all began

In 2012 I began as a Wildlife Rescuer Volunteer with Wildlife Victoria.

I was very privileged to meet many wonderful people in my various travels to shelters delivering Wildlife that would be rehabilitated by them prior to be returned to the wild.

On a really raining day I was taking a very upset and very loud Rainbow Lorikeet to Frank and Sue of Macloud Animal Shelter - I had never met them prior to this, only ever spoken of the phone to them to get advice. I arrived with my ears ringing from the non-stop screeching of the poor bird.

Frank took one look at me and said - you need to hold this.
"This" was a kangaroo joey, I immediately forgot about my ringing ears and long car trip (at that stage I was still working out distances in Melbourne so I often headed out to rescues far and wide relying just on GPS hahaha - I guess it was one way of learning about the distances in Melbourne and the surrounding regions).

I asked Frank and Sue what it would take for me to become more involved with the caring of  amazing creatures I was out rescuing.  Sue kindly took me on a foster carer and I went to their shelter almost daily to help with cleaning, with feeds and transporting to vet visits or to the next stage of release.

I remember clearly the day when Frank and Sue said "you take this little one home, he is yours to foster" and I brought little Thomas the tiny brushtail home.
He weighed 48g and my life revolved around 2 hourly feeds with regular calls to Sue in a blind panic because he only eaten 2mls of his formula instead of 3ml.
After a year of caring for him, he now weighed 4kgs and we were able to take him to a magnificent soft release site.

Thomas the day he was released.  Sniffling leaves before racing up the tree.

Thomas the day he was released.  Sniffling leaves before racing up the tree.